Someone in a Tree

It's the fragment, not the day. It's the pebble, not the stream. It's the ripple, not the sea, that is happening. Not the building but the beam. Not the garden but the stone. Only cups of tea. And history. And someone in a tree.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Musical Theatre Legend, He Wrote

Mame, Anyone Can Whistle, Dear World, Gypsy, Sweeney Todd.

Those alone make for a staggering career.

Now add film and TV. Gaslight, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Sampson & Delilah, The Harvey Girls, The Manchurian Candidate, Bedknobs & Broomsticks, Death on the Nile, Beauty & the Beast, Murder She Wrote.

Twelve Emmy nominations. Three Best Supporting Actress Oscar nominations. Four Best Actress in a Musical Tony wins.
Complete & Total Legend.

6 Comments:

At 1:46 PM, Blogger Thombeau said...

Ah, Bill, you never cease to amaze! Such a fabulous life!

 
At 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, we (my 3 sibs and I) *loved* "Bedknobs and Broomsticks". My brother rented for my children the last time we visited him and we amazed my kids by singing along with all the songs.

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Bill said...

Sewing siren - I was of course thinking about the movie the other night and realized that I could sing at least 5 or 6 songs from it despite not having seen it in more than 25 years. I was very tempted to say, "Treguna Mekoides Tracorum Satis Dee," to Angela and see if it made her pocketbook or overcoat come to life.

And everytime I see a Portobello Mushroom, I think of "street where the riches of ages are stowed."

 
At 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet she would have loved that! Unless it happens all the time.
Portobello Road was our favorite.

I have to ask you something. Do you dance the Charleston when you hear the theme to Antique Road Show? If you do I think we may have been separated at birth :D.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Bill said...

No Charleston here, sewing siren.

But because of the graphics on the box in the 70's, my younger sister and I do a mean little twist whenever we talk about the "Sweet-n-Swingin'" mini donuts that always seemed to be stashed in our kitchen.

 
At 12:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good words.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home