Someone in a Tree

It's the fragment, not the day. It's the pebble, not the stream. It's the ripple, not the sea, that is happening. Not the building but the beam. Not the garden but the stone. Only cups of tea. And history. And someone in a tree.

Friday, April 14, 2006

Imaginary Friends - December 21, 2002

John took me, Pete, Bruce & Jim to see Imaginary Friends for Christmas.
Went to the Saturday matinee. Ethel Barrymore. Last row of the front mezz left. Didn't get a good look at the orchestra, but it seemed fairly full.
Front mezz was full and rear mezz had about 15 people in it.

I got in first and heard a familiar voice. Turned to my right and 6 seats
down was one of my old Friendly's customers whom I haven't seen in 7 or 8
years - Marilyn - think Mike Meyers doing Linda Richmond on Coffee Talk,
but platinum blond. Fabulous reunion.

The show was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed it. It's not a great play,
but it's a darned good one. Some of it was just outrageously out there.
The first musical number came out of nowhere. The supporting cast (mostly
singing and one excellent vaudevillian style tap number) is terrific.
Harry Groener does a very good job as the various (and quite varied) men in
both women's lives. Swoosie and Cherry are unbelievably good.
Particularly Cherry. Never saw either one of them onstage before. They
play Mary & Lillian as children, and you would swear that these middle-aged
broads were 6 years old. They do the ladies in their prime and in older
age and change their performing imperceptibly but perfectly to fit whatever
age they are playing.

The Hamlisch/Carnelia songs were nice and added some real color and
atmosphere to the show. There was some neat staging with a red curtain.
Also some effective use of projections. And there was plenty of barbed
dialogue delivered by these two pros that was just a delight. The play
made we want to read both women - McCarthy in particular. And it's had me
thinking about the whole fact v. fiction thing since Saturday, so it
obviously had some resonance.

At intermission, John stands up, turns to the rear mezz and whispers to me,
"Isn't that her?" Sure enough in the first row of the rear mezz right
behind us is Nora Ephron. Crazed stalker that I am, I grabbed a sharpie
and my Playbill, walked up and sat down on the arm of the seat next to Ms.
Ephron. She was sitting there with what looked like the NY Times Book
Review AND the crossword puzzle in her lap. I could have kissed her just
for that. Watching your own first play while doing the 'tres literary' New
Yorky thing. I told her how much I was enjoying the show. She told me
that I was there on the right day because Swoosie and Cherry were very 'on'
and really nailing it today. A few of the other 'mezzies' were looking
over as she autographed my Playbill. She said that she had hoped to catch
the show and not be recognized but guessed that hadn't worked. I
apologized for bothering her, but she didn't really seem to mind too much.
The other guys came over to say hello and chat a bit, too.

I headed downstairs to buy the Lobby Card. NOT because I saw the author.
The first day that I saw the ad for the show, I knew I would buy it. Two
little girls in a hammock with the words "bitch" and "liar" pointing to
them. It's me (bitch) and John (liar) - bosom buddies 'till the end (Mame,
pull in your claws).

Ms. Ephron suffered us fools gladly (I hope) a second time. She signed
lobby cards for Bruce, John & me. I told her what a great movie I thought
Silkwood was. She said it had been a great experience. I said it must
have been great working with Streep and that I couldn't wait to see Streep
in Adaptation. She said to go see her in The Hours because it was just
amazing and to also see Chicago. Movie recommendations from a
screenwriter/director! I loved it. I was tempted to tell her that I saw
Carl Bernstein at one of the previews of Hairspray and that he hadn't aged
well at all. I decided that it might give her Heartburn and kept it to
myself.

I asked her who came up with the artwork for the show. She said it was the
ad agency and wasn't it great. I told her that I was sold on the show the
minute that I saw it. I also pointed out John and said that we laughingly
say it's us in the poster. She said that so many people have told her that
the poster reminds them of themselves and their significant other.

The crowd seemed to enjoy the show. You really have to see it for the
leading ladies. They are just too good. We waited to see them after the
show, but they didn't come out. I will definitely be back to meet them and
congratulate them on their performances (and have them sign my Ephronized
lobby card).

Another good day with MY imaginary friends - the actors and writers on
Broadway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home